Dharmesh On Startup Marketing: Video From MIT Startup Bootcamp

Dharmesh On Startup Marketing: Video From MIT Startup Bootcamp

I recently had the opportunity to speak at the MIT Startup Bootcamp held at the MIT Kresge Auditorium (a great venue that President Obama spoke at just a couple of weeks later). This was a fantastic event with a packed house (1,000+ people in the live audience) where some great entrepreneurs had a chance to share their experiences and insights.

I was a little nervous in the beginning (as usual), but once I warmed up, I think I did OK.

Here's a recorded video of my talk.

Hope you enjoy the video. Would love to hear your comments and questions.

Posted by Dharmesh Shah on Mon, Nov 16, 2009

COMMENTS

Getting more insights once again from you Dharmesh Sir, Inspiring all your presentations are!
Thank you.

posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 at 9:30 PM by Shailendra

I keep watching the beginning again hoping that the guy recording the talk will show the slide with the revenue... Feel like putting up the slides Dharmesh?

I'm just a junkie for that stuff :)

posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM by John

My favorite quote -- "This is not traffic!...this is actual revenue in the door!"

How refreshing!

posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 at 10:22 PM by Adam Smith

About a year ago I realized that I had actually forgotten how to market (been overseas too long) and I had to re-learn it the ideas in this video were a big part of that process.

If you find yourself debating the merits of innovation as a process or thinking about how to commercialize university research through a unique incubation process, stop, you are in the wrong place mentally.

Get out and build something, get a few customers and see what they think, you will be much happier :)

For anyone that is interested we recently documented our startup process via a series of blog posts titled "Eat your own dog food" where we talked about how we actually used our own product to build our business. We also use Hubspot's product as well as a big part of building our business so there are some good practical examples.

Ed Loessi

posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 at 11:28 PM by Ed Loessi

Dharmesh,

I wish the videographer did a better job of capturing your slides as well as your speech! This was an excellent video and very helpful in reminding me of the importance of some of these marketing techniques. As an entrepreneur it's hard sometimes keeping track of the many things we have to pay attention to - this was a great reminder.

Sanjee

posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 at 11:29 PM by Sanjee Singla

I really enjoy your talks Dharmesh.
the fact that you are an introvert, that geekiness, that awkwardness, and that you are honest about it. The result comes out as a nice, genuine, down to earth package.
You are a great marketer and salesman because you sell your products in a way that doesn't sound like the typical commercial.

Like inbound marketing you attract instead of repel.

Your advice and how you deliver it are both invaluable for people starting like myself.

Thanks,

Miguel

posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 12:12 AM by Miguel Hernandez

I've spent the past few weeks looking for a resource like this video. I read a number of SEO and marketing blogs so I know a lot about the details, but no one spends any time talking about the basics. I've been doing the little things right while getting the big things wrong.

In particular, the tip about using Facebook as a market research tool is amazingly useful. I also really like websitegrader.com.

Thanks!

posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 12:59 AM by Tyler King

Great speech Dharmesh! You shouldn't chastise yourself so much about your public speaking! You're a great public speaker. And as always, great insights and very practical/tactical advice.

posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 5:38 PM by Ron Feldman

Great video Dharmesh! I liked the end when you said "it's OK [for your product] to suck in the early stages". We struggled when to launch a product and just decided to go for it, but we found that offering fanatical support for the product and putting out weekly updates of what we're doing really helps a ton. So even if we still have a lot of work to do, people are staying loyal and signing in to use it every single day. That makes me feel a little better :)

posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 10:26 PM by Ryan Kelly

This is 2nd best talk I have ever listed after Guy Kawasaki's 2004 TiE conferece speech on "Art of the Start". The reason why, i call it is best 'coz it is practical, actionable and authentic.

posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 12:36 AM by Ganges Morekonda

Dharmesh,
A question about one of your comments. You state that when choosing optimization keywords, a key factor is to pick "battles you can win." How do we distinguish between battles that are winnable from ones that aren't? In other words, are there some good rule-of-thumb search volume #s for which a startup (with no authority) has a chance of winning battles?

Thanks!

p.s. My startup is named SagePoint software, and we're journalling our experiences in the hopes that others can benefit from our good decisions and bad ones. please feel free to check it out at <a>http://sagepoint.blogspot.com.

posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 8:53 AM by Rich Wilner

Nice.

posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 at 6:36 AM by Bård Wærstad

Dharmesh I have been following your blog for quite a while and I always look forward for your articles. Being in the process of launching a service I found this presentation to be of tremendous value. Excellent delivery !!!

posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 at 9:56 PM by Rahul

Wow! Great talk. Just had to burn this on a CD for our marketing training/review sessions.

Great stuff.