Y Combinator Finally Gets Some Kick-Butt Competition With Y Permutator

Y Combinator Finally Gets Some Kick-Butt Competition With Y Permutator

I’ve been following Y Combinator for several years and have a (sometimes grudging) admiration for them.  The “grudging” comes from the fact that they abandoned Boston and are now exclusively running their program in the Bay area.

onstartups ypermutator

Given YC’s success, several organizations in the past have tried to replicate or improve on Y Combinator’s revolutionary micro-funding model for startups.  Most of these have not really accomplished the objective.  The reasons for their failure have been varied, but the primary one was that unlike Y Combinator, they aren’t revolutionary.  Nobody sat down and said “how do we really take what YC has done and turn it on it’s head.”

Until now.  I just read about Y Permutator.  There’s a lot I don’t like about YP — one of which is it seems to be backed by some old school venture capitalists.  Not that there’s anything wrong with them, I just have a hard time believing that those that made all of their money in the 1990s and maybe even the 1980s (gasp!) are really going to understand what it takes to start a new kind of investment vehicle.  But, I have to give credit where credit is due.  It’s different

It goes back to the basics and brings back some of the same things that made VCs so successful across the decades — but adds some new twists.

I'm going to be particularlly interested in seeing what folks like Brad Feld, Davic Cohen, Dave McClure, Eric Ries, Fred Wilson and Michael Arrington think of this.  But, somehow, I don't think the top-tier VCs are going to be shaking in their boots.

If you’re in the market for some micro-funding, check out Y Permutator and let me know what you think.  Is this the future of micro-investing?  What do you think?

Posted by Dharmesh Shah on Thu, Apr 01, 2010

COMMENTS

I didn't see any dancing ponies!

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 8:55 AM by Stephen Kellett

the best april fool's are believable....this is brutal....try harder!

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 10:00 AM by Frank

Okay Dharmesh, you had me going for a short while :)

I did forget what day it is today...and to be honest it's the first April fools joke of seen all day (or so i think!)

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:02 AM by Matthew Ogston

Happy April Fools day!

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:06 AM by Marcel Crudele

Isn't it more of a lambda?

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:06 AM by Keith Casey

Amazing! I love the pictures.

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:09 AM by Ariel Diaz

I will be curious to see whether throwing money at ideas will make them succeed at a higher rate than keeping the ideas lean and building from there.

I actually think most incubators cannot survive long-term because most innovation occurs by luck. Their bank roll is not large enough to fund the gap between success by accident and failures by design.

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:11 AM by DefunktOne

Hahaha....almost had me there....

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:23 AM by rizwan

Hahaha....almost had me there....

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:24 AM by rizwan

this looks more like YTerminator!

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:26 AM by Antonio Faillace

You are a funny funny man.

I particularly liked: "YP company Inbox (it's Xobni spelled backwards) launches new product "

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:27 AM by Tristan Kromer

You totally had me. I thought the logo was funny, but I scan read quickly.

I'm thinking "Socialgrow.com <a>http://socialgrow.com is in the market for a quick microfunding" Let me read more.

Then I saw the comments.

Nicely done Dharmesh. Now an AF Day joke for my wife. Is she pulling one over me right now?

- Marsh

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:43 AM by Marsh Sutherland

Ha ha, Very funny, Happy AF day to all.
Brilliant one actually...

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 11:46 AM by Tarun

Hey - I still everyone should join their Facebook page just to take it over the top. Great way to start April Fools Day!

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 12:00 PM by RobertinSeattle

Ok, my question is how many people saw this, read the title, and then retweeted it without figuring out the joke?

Well done Dharmesh.

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 12:00 PM by Aaron Burke

Made my day...

And while I have your attention - using your valuation method, our Company's worth $38,339,000,000.

Give me a call.

Cheers,
Kevin

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 12:08 PM by Kevin Johansen

For about a minute...

The site completely captured old school tone. Many a startup guy from those days still getting professional "help" from that kinda stuff.

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 12:21 PM by John Stack

Great happy fools day!

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 12:24 PM by Lisette

I actually decided to forward it to the entire Boston BizSpark Startup Meetup group as an AF joke!

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 12:28 PM by Marsh Sutherland

even suscribed to the facebook page, then stopped and thought about it. Got me :)

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 1:19 PM by Javier

Such a joke coming from Dharmesh..never expected it . But it was good :)

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 2:47 PM by Vinay

April Fool's indeed. My main programmer just pretended to be "burned out" and would check back in next month.

He got me too...

posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 at 4:13 PM by Toma Bedolla

I'll admit, I was April Fooled

posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 at 9:45 AM by Alex Monroe

Hello, I am planning to join a non profit start up and need some business advise. It's an LLC and I need to understand what I may be signing up for. Would you be willing to help a student out with some pro bono advise? Or suggest someone I could speak with? Appreciate your help!

posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 at 2:53 PM by lulu

hey Dharmesh
Nice April Fool :)

You missed the "North East England" version of a start-up accelerator yicombinator (you have to say this with a Geordie accent for this to make sense :)

posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 at 5:58 AM by Tim Langley

these are two of my projects in search of funds

posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 at 8:50 PM by gaetano marano

Wow. That scared the yogurt out of me. I got immediately defensive. I worked at Viaweb and worked for Paul Graham.

Very funny though. Hope Paul thinks to too.

posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 11:45 PM by Ann Marie Bland