Announcing My New Startup Project: The Most Ambitious Yet

Announcing My New Startup Project: The Most Ambitious Yet

I am thrilled to announce my most recent — and most ambitious — startup project to date.

My wife Kirsten and I are now expecting our first child — I’m going to be a dad!

New Ambitous Startup Project: The Details

1. Funding:  Unlike my current startup HubSpot (which has raised $33 million in venture capital), this particular project will be self-funded.  Hopefully, it won’t be quite as capital intensive.

2. Founding Team: Though both founders are new to the domain, we hope to make up for the inexperience with passion and perseverance.describe the image

3. Launch Date:  Scheduled for January, 2011.

4. Branding:  We haven’t kicked off a branding project yet — will do that as the scheduled launch date approaches.  Meanwhile, we'll use the term, NewBay, Inc. (inspired by that fantastically inspired name, NewCo, Inc.)

5. Management:  Luckily, we have many people interested in helping with this project.  Some will be helping grow the effort on a volunteer basis.

6. Parallel Startups:  Generally, I’m not a fan of working on multiple startup projects simultaneously. But, in this case, it was not avoidable.  HubSpot hasn’t quite hit adulthood yet (and still wants the car keys every Friday night), and this new project couldn't really wait.

7. Distribution:  We believe there is a market need as evidenced by some recent survey respondents: “Quit working so hard and focus on life a bit. You’re not getting any younger -My Mom”.  “Listen to your mom.”  -My Dad.  Though the sample size for these surveys is not statistically representative, seems like finding early interest in the project will be easy.  Then, using lean startup principles, we’ll iterate from there based on what we learn.

As is the case with any new, early-stage effort, we’re likely to make mistakes.  The hope is that in the the long run (and in this case, it’s a really long run), we will have created something great and made the world a tad better.  Wish us luck!  Exciting times!

Posted by Dharmesh Shah on Thu, Aug 26, 2010

COMMENTS

You could bowl me over with a feather. I absolutely can't believe it!

Congratulations, sir. Reproduction by the two of you has a nearly 100% chance of yielding phenomenal results.

BTW - There's some research to suggest that children born to mothers who drink a small quantity of alcohol on a regular basis during pregnancy are higher IQ than those who abstain completely. I hope to join you for one of those drinks :-)

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 3:20 AM by Rand Fishkin

Congratulations. And have fun!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:10 AM by Eric Jackson

6. Parallel Startups - At first I thought you meant you were having twins ;-)

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM by John Uhri

Congratulations, Dharmesh! However, I'm certain that this will be a capital intensive "project" - the most expensive members of our household are 5 and 3 :)

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM by Ryan Kelly

Dharmesh...you will join me in the ranks of the awe-struck and humbled "founders" in this particular startup endeavor.

I've (so far, so good) launched two of these "enterprises" into the world (or at least into Carnegie Mellon and Virginia Tech). One more to go. The financial dividends are seriously, solidly, spectacularly negative--but the emotional ones are solidly inestimably in the black.

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:13 AM by Jules Pieri, CEO Daily Grommet

Congrats to you and your wife Dharmesh!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:13 AM by Jennifer Lum

Congratulations Dharmesh! That's fantastic!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM by Andy Cook

awesome news! congrats!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM by todd garland

Amazing news Dharmesh! Love the post.

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM by Jarrett Goetz

Congratulations to you and Kirsten. You inspire a good majority that still wakes up dreaming to start somethig but doesn't go that extra mile.

I am so glad I got to meet you at NewComm Forum.

Priya

(@newpr)

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM by Priya Ramesh

Congrats!!!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM by Mihir

Congrats Brian!!! HubSpot rocks and I am sure this new venture will rock too!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM by Victoria

Congrats! I think you'll find that this "enterprise" is going to be far more difficult, complicated, expensive, rewarding, fulfilling, and joyous than any business you could ever hope to start. Good luck.

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM by brad stageberg

Congratulations... this is likely to be the most challenging of start-ups as you can never sell out :)

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM by James

Congrats! At least we know that you really won't be losing sleep staying up with the baby.

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM by Sully

Dharmesh...fabulous news! This new start up may be a bit less capital intensive to start...but it comes with a major capital expense in about 18 years (as I am learning myself!). I am sure you both are tremendously excited (as is Uncle Vipul!). Could not be happier for you. Cheers!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM by John Hopper

Ok, I SOOO Read that wrong! Dharmesh I am soo happy for you!!!! I ACTUALLY thought this was another venture..then I read the 2nd sentence...lol..clearly you will rock at this venture!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM by Victoria

So does that mean we'll soon be seeing baby.grader.com?

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM by Erin Colbert

Congratulations!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM by Valeriano Cossu

Congrats! Your most important MVP yet!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM by Charlie Park

Congrats!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM by Brad Feld

Congrats Dharmesh and Kirsten.

Wishing you all the best in the next chapter in your lives.

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM by Drew

Congrats to you and the missus, Dharmesh! What an exciting time for both of you!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM by Cooley

Congrats Dharmesh, this is very exciting news! I like that you aren't going to take a ton of money this time and will go the self funded route. Looking forward to the launch in January 2011!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM by Jeremy Campbell

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! Having a child truly is a blessing.

I love how you tied this to a new startup...very entertaining to read! What about #8 Exit Strategy? I'm guessing you're looking at about an 18 year exit :-)

Keep us posted on your new "startup".

Oh, and don't listen to Rand :-)

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:54 AM by Zuly Gonzalez

GAH! My husband told me about this sometime in the early hours of the morning. I consequently freaked out and could not sleep.

THAT'S how excited I am to have a mini Dharmesh/Kirsten in the world. :)

Congrats to you both!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:03 AM by Geraldine

Very exciting! Hopefully you can blog more about your progress soon. BTW, definitely enjoyed the fact that some of your posts were on @hearablog so I could listen while driving.

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM by Jonathan Jaeger

Congratulations to you and your wife, Dharmesh! Enjoy as this project becomes the Hub of your life and all the spot light is on it...

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM by Srini

Congrats! Hope all the best for your family!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:10 AM by Felipe Andrade

Congratulations, Dharmesh! I look forward to your posts on time management, how to stay up late, how to multitask, etc. I do hope that the frequency of your blog posts will keep up in spite of an additional startup.

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM by Paddu Govindaraj

Congratulations, as a mother of 4 children and a few businesses...i think the richness of the diversity of this particular portfolio enhances all other ventures immeasurably! Best of luck to you both and wishes for good health and as much rest as possible!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:27 AM by barbra batshalom

Congratulations, Dharmesh and Kristen! Hopefully the nursery will not be outfitted in HubSpot orange. As a Mom of two (one in college and one in high school) my advise is to prepare for some red ink on the balance sheet. Hope you both enjoy this very special time.

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:46 AM by Linda Sevier

Please take a look, having way to much fun acquiring funding. Ready to go and could be live in 90 days.

ROI 35%

Reaching 17 P/Mo. before end of 1st year.

Revenue will be 10 Mill per month befor end of 1st year.

So any directions, suggestions on fund would be helpful. End of current contract with investment banking group that failed, ends 9/13

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM by Ed Burns

One word of caution on the difference between product launches. It's very rare for a child to arrive more than two weeks late and they can often arrive a week or two early (something I have yet to see a product do against first ship date target).

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM by Sean Murphy

LOL! Congrats, dude!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM by Shawn Broderick

Congratulations, Dharmesh and Kirsten! Here's wishing for a healthy addition to the family, and maybe more to come ;)

We need standard term sheets for this sort of deal. Where are the Venture Hacks guys when you need them? ;)

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 12:03 PM by Yoav Shapira

Congrats, Dharmesh!!!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 1:08 PM by

Congrats Dharmesh and Kirsten! I'm really happy to hear this wonderful news!

All the best,

Chris adf471587879rzq

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM by Chris Jackson

Congrats! As someone living around the corner similarly invested, I would only offer this advice... Relax! the success of this project, despite appearances, is not entirely dependent on you. :-)

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM by Ed Lyons

Congrats! And enjoy.

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM by Jeroen

Congratulations Dharmesh! That's so awesome!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM by Jenn Yorke

Alright! First The Real Ben Smith now Dharmesh. Lots of great family moments happening at HubSpot this month.

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM by Luke Owen

Dharmesh - when will you be releasing parentgrader.com & babygrader.com? Overjoyed for you and Kirsten!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM by Jen

Congratulations! ... And yes, a newborn can be capital intensive. But you can definitely bootstrap with little contracts on-the-side from friends whose startups is a little older.

Parallel is doable. My first kid was born 2 weeks after My startup went from me only to 3 people. Lots of fun!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM by Bruno morency

The tweet + post title totally got me - congrats to the both of you :)

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM by Sam Coren

Congratulations Dharmesh and Kirsten!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM by Patrick Fitzsimmons

Creative as always,Dharmeshbhai!

Many many congratulations to both of you!!!

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM by Yogesh Trivedi

Congratulations :)

posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 9:28 PM by Dov Bigio

Congrats Dharmesh!

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 12:15 AM by Asheem Chandna

Congratulations. Something tells me this is going to be the most difficult and most satisfying venture of a lifetime!

Blessings to you and your wife and the little one.

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 12:15 AM by Pamela Day

Congrats! I have a little advantage over your new project, I started mine on July 20th.

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 3:06 AM by nunes

Congrats!!!!
I did my first start-up already 9 years ago. And I can tell you it need a lot of investment. But the ROI is unbelievable. I also founded 2 sister companies. Which is even more fun!!!

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 3:17 AM by Jan

Couldn't be happier for you Dharmesh. Congrats!

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 4:20 AM by Dan Martell

Wonderful, wonderful news Dharmesh... congratulations to you and Kirsten.

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 5:34 AM by Ben

Mazel Tov, from a new fan. I am reading "Inbound Marketing" now, and it is helping me so much. I can only wish you all the best in future, and hope I can somehow cross paths with you and also offer something of value for YOUR career. All the best, your fan, Keren Eldad

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 6:14 AM by Keren Eldad

Congratulations on your first child!! Being a parent is the most wonderful thing anyone can experience. About your new startup, sounds exciting, can't wait to hear what it is about, let us know if we can help.

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 7:36 AM by Ricardo Sanchez

Congrats Dharmesh!

This really is "Double ka Meetha"!

Take care,
Rk

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 8:22 AM by Radhakrishnan KG

Best thing you will ever do! Congrats!

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 10:01 AM by Henry Knoblock

CONGRATS!!!

Welcome to the fun filled world of being a Dad. It changes everything, but the rewards are worth every minute of it!

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM by C.C. Chapman

Congratulations! May it be your most exciting project ever!

Cheers

-RA

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM by Rodolpho Arruda

Congratulations. You had the perfect "subject line" to get our attention. Enjoy the months of pregnancy and the significant change -- and improvement -- that the birth will bring. Des

posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM by Desmond Pieri

Congratulations! I can tell you my now 16 year old daughter was born yesterday... enjoy every minute, it will fly by!

posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 10:07 PM by Scott Barnett

Congratulations to you and Kirsten! This start-up will be more challenging and far more rewarding than any business for you both.

All the best,
Mark

posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 1:19 AM by Mark Gibson

I was intrigued by Parallel start-up thing. Knowing you I know you are not into this kind of ventures but more I read I understood. :)

posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM by Dharma

Dharmesh, congratulations to you and the soon expanding family. This showed up in my reader under the startups category so totally fooled me.

I remember when I had my son, I described it in exactly the same manner - startup indeed!

posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 10:41 PM by Gregarious Narain

Congrats to you and Kirsten! That is fantastic news.

posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 at 8:33 AM by Terry McGovern

Congratulations & Have Fun!!!

Cheers,
~Sameer

posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 5:24 AM by Sameer

Congrats to you and your wife Dharmesh! I am sure this new venture will rock too....

posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 at 7:05 AM by shravan kumar

Kirsten and Dharmesh - Congratulations to both of you! You are in for the startup of your lives!
-Prashant

posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 at 8:33 PM by Prashant Kaw

A congratulation to you and your wife!!! As with all your ventures I am certain this one will be a resounding success too :)

Welcome to parenthood!

posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 at 12:06 AM by Minna Van

Congratulations!!!
Tal

posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 at 5:37 AM by Tal Sliwowicz

Man, what a post. You are right, having a baby is like embarking on a new project (startup) and that too a long term one. Hope you enjoy the ride :).

posted on Monday, September 13, 2010 at 10:28 PM by The Carpool Guy