Facebook Acquires Twitter and 4 More Deals That Should Happen

Facebook Acquires Twitter and 4 More Deals That Should Happen

Today's big news from TechCrunch is is that Google is in the final stages of acquiring digg for about $200 million.  Makes sense to me.  Particularly given some of Google's recent experiments having social voting in their search results pages.

I'd been thinking about startup acquisitions earlier this year (and started keeping a side list of deals I thought should get done).  Just as an amusing exercise.

The 5 Tech Deals That Should Happen

Disclaimer:  When I say should happen, it's not a prediction, just something that I think makes sense.

1.  Facebook should acquire Twitter:  Let's face it, back in the early days, some of us wondered how Twitter was different from an enhanced version of Facebook status updates.  I think the two products would work well together, and Facebook has the resources to help Twitter get over some of the current platform stability issues.

2.  Google should acquire FriendFeed:  This would be a bit similar to the FeedBurner acquisition (although FriendFeed is nowhere near as far along).  Google gets a good product that can further it's social networking stuff.

3.  Microsoft should acquire Xobni:  This one's already been talked about before, and almost happened.  It should happen.  Xobini's got a great team, Microsoft needs some new energy in the Outlook group.

4.  Intuit should acquire Freshbooks:  You may not have heard of Freshbooks, but it's a cool company with a cool product for invoicing.  Intuit needs a much better web offering, and the Freshbook folks have great design and are great entrepreneurs.

5.  Ning should acquire Mixx:  Ning is growing, but needs more "best of breed" style social networking apps.  Mixx is brilliantly executed and more and more people want/need some type of focused social news product as part of a larger social network or community.

So, what do you think?  What's your vote for the acquisitions in the remainder of 2008 that should happen?  Leave 'em and debate 'em in the comments.

Posted by Dharmesh Shah on Wed, Jul 23, 2008

COMMENTS

I was actually just thinking the other day that Facebook should actually acquire friendfeed. With their new lay-out they'd become the center where to follow your friends online.

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 11:15 AM by Bradford Coffey

Dharmesh,

If this entrepreneurial thing doesn't work out, sounds like you have a future in investment banking.

I see all of these. RE: Xobni - I believe they have ambitions beyond managing the inbox. Still, there's a crystal clear fit with Outlook.

RE: Twitter. Makes sense and I'm assuming the post money on its recent round more than accommodates such a deal. Still, I believe the stakeholders there are not ready to sell out just yet.

mark

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 1:03 PM by Mark MacLeod

When I explain Twitter to friends who are non-users, they often say "oh, like status updates on Facebook?" And they're right, essentially. But I think Twitter is such a great app in and of itself. If it was absorbed by Facebook, I think it'd lose its cool, niche following who really enjoy its total simplicity.

Should Facebook acquire Twitter though, I pray they don't just use Twitter in place of Status Updates; rather, I'd like to see some solid integration that explores all of the micro-blogging/social network mash-up possibilities.

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 1:35 PM by reece

Author... the article title is a really cheap trick. Don't sink that low.

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 2:31 PM by anonymous

As long as it does not damage my (ie everyone's) experience of EITHER, then I am okay with it...

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 4:15 PM by Iphone reviews and articles

How about Ning acquires links.hubspot instead of mixx?

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 5:58 PM by Jonah Lopin

Jonah: With all due respect, links.hubspot.com sucks. Not the content, but the software.

Whoever is behind that thing should be sad. Oh wait, that's me. :)

We'll make our software better, but in the meantime, Mixx (as a stand-alone social news app) is just much, much cooler.

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 6:07 PM by Dharmesh Shah

xobni was working on a deal with microsoft, but walked away from the deal, due to creative control.

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 6:11 PM by cease

Google acquiring FriendFeed is a great idea. They lack in the social media space (with the exception of youtube) and this young company is a great fit, and easy to integrate into Feedburner, Orkut, Youtube and possibly even Blogger.

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM by Launching Today

Before I read Jonah's and Dharmesh's comments above, I was going to suggest that HubSpot acquire CoRank and throw out links.hubspot.com

Someone should acquire Techmeme and let people create their own vertical automated meme aggregators. Not sure what the hell Gabe is doing over there.

Constant Contact should acquire HubSpot.

Linkedin should buy blitztime.

Yahoo should buy Ning.

Facebook should by Marchex.

That's enough.

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 6:32 PM by peter caputa

Xobni would be a GREAT feature for Outlook. It's both functional and pretty cool - definitely better investment than Yahoo and would likely influence more core MSFT clients

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM by Dan Tyre

Facebook + Twitter does make sense, but I agree with @reece that I wouldn't want to see Twitter updates replace status updates. I use the two for different purposes.

I could see either Facebook or Google acquiring FriendFeed. Since my FF updates import into Facebook, I already use the combination of the two as my hub. As for Google, I just figure that anything they acquire can only get better as a result.

posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM by Sandra Possing

That would break my heart if FreshBooks got acquired. I've always thought of them as a spunky little upstart, and I'm not sure they would survive an acquisition. They'd just become QuickBooks - Now with ROR!

posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 7:28 AM by Starr Horne

I think I would cry if Intuit acquired Freshbooks. I also don't think Mike would have it (but maybe I'm wrong). I can't stand Intuit and I am an avid Freshbooks user (have been for quite some time now).

posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 at 7:57 PM by Arlen