12 Things Entrepreneurs Should Be Thankful For

12 Things Entrepreneurs Should Be Thankful For

A simple thanks to all the people that have made it possible for me to be an entrepreneur.  There are few more fulfilling things in life than finding one's calling.  And, for millions of entrepreneurs around the world, that's precisely what it is.

onstartups thank you

A special thanks to all the people that have joined existing startups and small businesses.  Joining an existing effort requires risk and a degree of selfnessness.  You are all entrepreneurs in my book for one simple reason:  You're crazy enough to join a merry band of misfits even though it makes absolutely no sense.  You're my kind of crazy.  Cheers.

12 Things Entrepreneurs Should Be Thankful For

1. Customers.

2. Getting to pick the exceptional people we work with.

3. An opportunity to add value, big or small, to people's lives.

4. Not having to ask permission to try something crazy.

5. The patience and understanding of our family and friends — especially when we likely don't deserve it.

6. Receiving payment for value delivered. There's no feeling like it.

7. The joy of seeing a sliver of light after some dark, dark, days.

8. The freedom to change what's not working. It's sometimes painful, but at least it's possible.

9. Not having to rationalize to your family and friends why you took that Wall Street investment banking job.

10. Day 2,743, when the world celebrates your “overnight success”

11. The pleasure of helping team members create memories and experiences that will last a lifetime.  Most of them good.

12. The chance to try. To fail. To try again and flail around. Then, with some luck, to flourish.

Your turn.  What do you think entrepreneurs should be thankful for?

Posted by Dharmesh Shah on Wed, Nov 23, 2011

COMMENTS

Awesome list, Dharmesh. Truly inspiring. I'm thankful for the small (but meaningful) windows of freedom you experience while being an entrepreneur and blazing your own trail.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM by Sean Rosensteel

Freedom of performing, under the client's wishes.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 10:55 AM by Juan Pedro

I'm thankful for the folks I've met that are willing to help me out, even though the returns for them will be a couple more years down the road!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM by Kathy

Great list. It's nice to stop and be thankful once in a while. It reminds us all about why we started down this path to begin with.

I'm thankful for everyone that has come before me and being able to stand on the shoulders of giants.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM by Artin Youssefian

Great list! I'd add one more thing: to actually be the one who is able to create meaningful change in our surroundings and be a source of inspiration for others around us. All this can happen in other circumstances too, but its a great feeling that as an entrepreneur you are generally acknowledged of it and are thankful for.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM by Mubeen Ahmad

13. To stay owner of your life.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM by Kevin

Freedom of expression .... being the person who we are...like a bird! :)

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM by Daisy

I'm grateful for the fact that no matter how many times things don't work out, its only a matter of time before another amazingly seductive, shiny, sparkly, twinkling business concept will form between my ears....

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:24 AM by alan clayton

Another reason I'm thankful for being an Entrepreneur: Giving me the ability to be the change I want to see in the world around me.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:24 AM by Chris Wachowiak

Great list! I especially like #7, #10 and #12.

Thankful for the ability to take risks, fail, take more risks, fail again, and again, then flourish beyond expectations, then fail, fail again, and then flailing around in mediocrity while waiting to take the next big risk to flourish beyond expectations.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:24 AM by Noel Huelsenbeck

Their significant others :) My wife has been instrumental in letting me live this dream of being an entrepreneur.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:25 AM by Nate

love item 10. It applies to life in general, not just entrepreneurship.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM by Krishnendu Chaudhury

"Chance to dream big"

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM by Whittleidea

Very thankful for family who have helped me a lot along the way but especially in the very beginning. Mom and dad let me crash with them when I was single and bootstrapping, and then, my spouse picked up the slack after we got married. Any one of them could've told me to give up and get a paying job.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM by Elizabeth Yin

A free market economy where the people can choose everyday which businesses succeed and which businesses fail by choosing where to spend their money.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM by Don Tarinelli

Not lying on my death-bed thinking "I wish I'd tried."

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM by Richard

Thankful for the opportunity to feel like every day is a new day, with new adventures, new risks, new places to go, and new people to meet.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM by Irais Souto

Great list Dharmesh!

I have been a self employed entrepeneur for over 30 years, 25 of those years in the insurance industry. My list would include the joy I receive from working with new business owners to solve their insurance needs so that they too can follow their dreams!

And your #2 is correct ~ we have the best brokers in the industry and they really love what they do~ I enjoy working with them. Bottom line ~ I would not do anything else!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM by Bill Kurgan

Great list. I would also add:

"The opportunity to be creative and to indulge in doing something you are passionate about"

That's what it's all about at the end of the day, other than building a sustainable business :)

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:30 AM by Brian

Thankful to share ideas and learn from others around the world ---I love this Internet stuff.

RW

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:31 AM by Richard Whitfield

I'm with Richard. To know that you are doing what you love, can build it your way (with mistakes and successes), come and go as you please, living a longer life because you're "living", and when you die know that you gave it your all and led a full and productive life - with no regrets.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM by Sandy Schwartz

Dear Dharmesh,

Thank you for this truly inspiring list! I'm going to print it out to remind myself why I do the things I do! Thank you for the reinforcement!
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM by Sharie Renee

I'm thankful for the educational opportunities provided EVERY DAY by my job at a startup. It's both humbling and inspiring.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM by Drew Sollberger

Excellent list! I'm not an entrepreneur, but am one of those crazies who took the plunge and ended a 10 year comfortable career to join a rag-tag early stage start-up.

I would also add being thankful for the incredible amount of learning experienced in a short period of time, working in an environment where failure means opportunity, and where the wins taste so much more delicious because of how hard you worked to get there.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM by Krissie Thornton

Awesome list. Thanx.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:39 AM by Ashok Bhimra

Awesome post as usual ;_

One another that I would like to add:-
13) Thankful to the family for helping and understanding the crazy entrepreneurs :)

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM by Himanshu

Thankful for (1) a wife that has hung in there like a champ during this start-up process, (2) two young daughters that continue to encourage me and inspire me, and ask me innocent, but hard questions that make me look at and think about how and why I do the crazy things I do to add value, (3) being healthy at a time when health insurance was not an option... Whew.... so much stuff to be thankful for! Thanks for bringing up the topic!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM by Ezequiel Quijano

Hello Dharmesh,

Thank you for this! The list is quite wonderful.

I too am grateful for all of the above and for having so many amazing groups and people to connected with (this being one of them clearly) and I am most grateful for knowing that there is MORE than enough for every single one of us that our abundance is nurtured by our state of mind. Our success starts with our courage (and as entrepreneurs, we clearly have that) to really allow that burning desire to come to the surface and to take action on it. Not someday...but TODAY! I am grateful for those who remind me on a daily basis that the business and the life I so desire is happening! I wish that for all of you as well! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! To your bliss and to your success! SM xo

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM by shawn marie

I am thankful with the greatest gift of all -- "be an entrepreneur"

/tm.mahdi

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM by tm mahdi

I am thankful for the opportunity to:
• remove the word "excuse" from my vocabulary,
• have a hand in the creation of my own destiny,
• one day give someone else the opportunity to do the same

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM by David

Great Blog! I am thankful to have the opportunity to work on something that helps my community and that makes me feel great as well.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM by Robert

The freedom to escape from cubicle life and create an environment that makes it a pleasure to go to work.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:15 PM by Linda Colloby

I am thankful that I have opportunities to live my passions, to contribute to issues that beset us all, and to offer products and services that add value to society, does not harm individuals, communities, the environment or the planet.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:17 PM by Sunny Morgan

Great List THANK YOU Dharmesh.
There are so many things that I am thankful everyday but the most of all the support of the family, friends, strangers that becomes family and friend so we create a strong community.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM by Julia

So many people don't really get how it feels to truly dream. They don't know what it means to see, feel, taste, and desire something so much to the point of crazyness. I'm a 'crazy' and proud of it! Great comments guys!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:22 PM by Paula Aromando

I love the list, especially #10: Day 2,743, when the world celebrates your “overnight success”

The freedom to work when and where I want is what I am most thankful for. I'm spending about 30 extra hours a week on my dream than when I worked in corporate, and also make significantly less. Yet, I have never been happier!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM by Karen

I am Thankful for the spirit of unity and unconditional helpfulness among all Entrepreneurs, regardless of Industry

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:40 PM by Denise Bothwell

Thank you for sharing this list! I actually agree that it covers mainly everything except the freedom to innovate without dealing with a "big corporation bureaucracy" :D

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM by Jessica Gonzalez

I am thankful that every day I can excercise my creative energy focused entirely on how to make things better for my customers. Its not as spritual as giving to others, but nothing come close to the feeling of customers being truly thankful they did business with my company.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:48 PM by Alex

Awesome stuff man!!! Great list. I would like to add another one to it:

Thanks to all ex-bosses who helped us in understanding the nitty-gritties of business and may be some of them are the reason why we took a plunge!!!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:48 PM by Amitabh

It's all about the relationships. The people, the lessons learned from them and shared with them, and the opportunity to help others.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM by Scott Kindred | SafeHouse Web

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM by Denise Bothwell

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 1:10 PM by Denise Bothwell

Nice List... But I liked the last one
12)The chance to try. To fail. To try again and fail around. Then, with some luck, to flourish.
Here in my case there is always failure time rather than success or luck...

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 1:15 PM by Mobile-Money

GREAT LIST!!! Thank you for sending - motivated and reminded me of why I am still in this business myself!! THANKS and GOBBLE GOBBLE!!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM by Alexandra Carton

13. Great cofounders like Dharmesh.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 1:23 PM by Brian Halligan

Ser um Empreendedor é como aprender a andar de bicicleta, depois que a gente aprende, toma gosto e vai embora.E como se vencer um desafio todos os dias.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM by Hermes Antonio

i agree with denise and also with the writer..cudnt have connected us all better..

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM by

I am grateful for the support of fellow entrepreneurs - peers and mentors!!!

We just started on the journey and it has been incredible to see teh spirit of community! And by the way - help us win the battle for the top spot on the global start up weekend site - vote for us at <a>www.mybesthelper.com <a>

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 1:39 PM by Alexandra Greenhill

"Making a difference" as the main source of achievement

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 1:39 PM by Alexandre Montello

Thank you for this! Inspiring.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM by BJ Patel

I'm thankful for the opportunity to lead and inspire others by example and for the ability to write off lot's of stuff:) I'm also thankful for the technological innovation that allows me to do my work from virtually anywhere at any time
Mark

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM by Mark Aylward

Quite simple...the freedom to choose and be responsable for your own actions!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 2:36 PM by Brendon

Fabulously inspiring list.

For me I give thanks for the passion and vision that only fellow entrepreneurs understand. It is that which drives us through exhaustion, long hours, hiccoughs twist and wiggles to the goal.
Happy Thanksgiving All !

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM by Fiona Hamilton

Being thankful the client is happy with the service provided.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM by Jo Ann

Entrepreneurs dare to live the "creative life". Regardless of your religious persuasion or beliefs humans have endowed within them at birth this creativity, our innate talents belong not just to ourselves but give us an opportunity to change the world of those we love and care for, therefore it is a duty to use them to the fullest extent possible, this is our legacy - to live, to love, to look forward to, to learn and to leave something of value behind in others when we are no longer here - this is living, this is what it is to truly alive and "awake" to life's opportunities and ones destiny - sounds deep but its also very true and I hope it inspires you to even greater commitment to the entrepreneurial mindset and lifestyle

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM by Brendon Miskell

Please add: "To make something out of nothing"

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 3:20 PM by SV

Thanks everyone for stopping by leaving your comments. Lots of good ideas here!

Special thanks to Brian Halligan (my co-founder) who stopped by and left a nice comment. Brian has to suffer my quirks and still says nice things anyway.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 3:33 PM by Dharmesh Shah

Number 10 is sheer genius, really made me laugh!

Great list, great idea. Happy Thanksgiving all!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 4:01 PM by Adam Brown

I am thankful for everything that I have and thankful for everything that I am manifesting into life, even though I am yet to see it.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM by Axe

To make your vocation your vacation...<3

BTW...excellent list!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 4:30 PM by Jeffrey

As an entrepreneur I'm thankful that I am taking control of my life, income and outcomes. There's nothing like it!! Cheers, Jaffaman.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 4:42 PM by Jaffaman Eddie

Dharmesh, a very fitting post given the context. I have not read many comments and hence may possibly be seen as 'repeating'.

From my experience, I as an entrepreneur am thankful to my vocation for being ALIVE every moment of my life.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 7:32 PM by Badri

Very nice list. Each on the list brought a smile of recognition.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 8:22 PM by Charles Miske

The freedom to turn ideas into reality, even when people say it's impossible.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 8:50 PM by Eric Lenington

The sweet taste of freedom and the ability to manage you own time!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 9:20 PM by Dr. Loni

Great Dharmesh! What I am most grateful for is how every challenge makes me grow as a person - there is just no better teacher than that! And as I grow, I laugh more and more especially about myself! And when that passion of creation touches my life and the life of others - pure joy! Thanks for that.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 9:24 PM by Halka

Thanks for this inspirational drive, Dharmesh.

I agree to all 12 of yours and all of the above added ones :)

I am thankful to be able to write my own destiny. I am thankful that I do not have to justify anyone why I work when I want to work and when I don't work when I don't want to :)

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 10:29 PM by Vinay

Great list, I see you included customers in your list - I just want to add, the first big customer whose brand is a force to reckon with in the market and the pride to add this to your list of clients knowing they had the confidence to give you, as a start up entrepreneur, an opportunity to showcase your skills and capabilities!

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 10:51 PM by Vuyo

Getting a shot at changing the world or atleast making a difference to hundreds (if not thousands, millions or billions of people) :)

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM by Saurabh Jain

Great Post ,

I am thankful to everyone in my surroundings who have been overwhelming to make me realize my dream of being an Entrepreneur.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:56 PM by Vineet Malik

A truly inspiring discussion! made i add another:
For the few who believed in you and trusted your ability and passion, when most others were contemptuous and maligning you behind your back.

posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:58 PM by Shelly Batra

I am fan of this feeling.

6. Receiving payment for value delivered. There's no feeling like it.

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 12:10 AM by semicolon developers

Like so many that have stated that there is so much to be thankful for. By having the chance to write you're own to dream and write your own rules, to help others, meet incredible people along the way, and make a difference--is a blessing from God.

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 12:24 AM by Francisco

As an entrepreneur, I am thankful for the following:

a) giving myself the permission to fail;

b)experiencing the insane beauty of hard work;

c) staying frugal and staying sharp - regardless of the'overnight success';

d)the simplicity with which our customers teach us vital lessons and;

d)never feeling the need to go to business school.

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 1:30 AM by Manisha Gupta

bleh bleh bleh

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 4:23 AM by Íris

FREEDOM! Freedom of thought, freedom to implement those thoughts without having to get it ok'd by anyone else, freedom to create jobs for others (or delete them for unsuccessful employees!), freedom of speech, freedom to 18 to 20 hours a day if I want (or freedom to take a break), freedom to pick and choose my family time (or not! haha!) and MOST IMPORTANTLY freedom to pick and choose my customers too!

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 5:07 AM by SenegalStyle

I'm thankful for being thankful....(if that makes sense!). To be aware of how lucky I am (in life in general) to feel thankful in the first place.

And I'm very thankful to being self-employed that I don't have to make the dreaded trip to work in a Scottish snow storm!

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 5:53 AM by Carolann

Happy Thanksgiving!

"Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving." -W.T. Purkiser

"Gratitude is a quality similar to electricity: it must be produced and discharged and used up in order to exist at all." -William Faulkner

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 6:09 AM by Linda

As a mom of a very accomplished entrepreneur I appreciate these postings. I truely understand now why he loves what he does.

Thanks to all of you and Happy Thanksgiving!

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM by Becky Rose

I'm thankful for the ones (family, friend, colleagues ) who on day 3,457 don't let you give up and remind you of the vision when it seems clouded by the challenges you face.

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM by Carole M

Great list - I have to say #3 is what truely motivates me to keep going. As a First Aid & CPR/AED Instructor, teaching people how to save a life is a powerful and important way to add value to others lives.

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM by Jennifer McKechnie

I am thankful for the support of fellow entrepreneurs and my customers...I have a unique site and just started, but getting a wonderful response thus far. I hope to connect with more fellow veterans in 2012!!

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM by john waite

Thank you for the list, I'm thankful for all of my twitter followers, and for those who checked LIKE on my facebook business page Lucubrate I'm also thankful to be able to lucubrate to work on my business

posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM by Minnie Turner

I am most thankful to God for blessing me with a close family! Their support has been tremendous in pursuing my goals and dreams. Great post.

posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 at 3:04 AM by Jerokiah Darr

I am so very thankful for the support network that people like Dharmesh, Jean Hammond and Katie Rae have established here in Boston. There's not many industries where successful leaders are willing to go the extra mile to create more competition.

And I'm thankful for my kids telling me "mom, for goodness sake go back to work" after I sold my last company.

posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 at 10:02 AM by Karen Macumber

Yes Passion should be in there. It rubs off on suppliers and customers. If you don't have passion then how will people believe in your product or service?

posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 at 2:08 PM by Ed Gardyne

As well as running a highly technical business I have also started a songwriting business and alraedy been very successful getting close to the final of UK Songwriting competition for the last two years. When you learn that life is too short to procrastinate you just go for it and try it. If you don't you will never know! I have alwyas loved singimg

Here is the link to my new song on Soundcloud http://t.co/akFN72W

posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM by Kodyne

I am thankful to God for entrepreneurial depth and insight and also to every comment posted. Just was about to give up on a business when i read Dharmesh and others say failure is part of the flourishing and growth process.I am liking this community...am inspired

posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM by Godwin Archibong

An awesome list. Thanks again, Dharmesh.

posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 at 5:45 PM by Vadim Berman

Great things to be thankful for....for me the experience of learning what you are made of and pushing past your limits is what makes being an entrepreneur worth it, as painful as it is at times.

posted on Saturday, November 26, 2011 at 1:45 PM by Brian

Entrepreneurs need to be thankful for the Trust people place on them.

People = {Family, Employees, Customers, Investors} in this specific order.

posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 1:19 PM by karthik

I am thankful for my startup. Please vote for us and enter to win an ipad2. http://on.fb.me/scgCYM

posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM by Stash Verify

Simply put, in a start-up you grow in ways you never will in an established company. No two days are the same, and you have opportunity after opportunity to make critical decisions to change direction without excessive approval processes.

posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 at 6:43 AM by Chris Sinclair

What a thoughtful blog that has inspired so many heartfelt replies. Thank you Dharmesh.

For me, I am thankful for the continuous personal growth; for example the other day I had a light-bulb moment at a crunch point - 'My needs are my client's needs!' Profound...

Jeremy Devlin-Thorp, Scotland

posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 3:35 PM by Jeremy Devlin-Thorp

We should also be thankful for NOT getting the funding we asked for when in NOT getting the money, we come up with a better go-to-market strategy.

posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM by Susan Goddard

I'd add the ability to take an idea that the majority of people say won't work, can't be done, will never happen and make it a reality

posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM by Scott Wharton

I am thankful to have had the opportunity to talk with Jay Forrester, who encouraged me to keep on my path despite the fact that people around me diminish my work. "Just do it for yourself. You will learn a lot!"

posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 at 10:43 AM by RalfLippold

A nice compacted advices that can make one successful in market.I think all entrepreneurs must follow it.

posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 at 12:03 PM by StartupTunes

An awesome post, a must for all individuals and not just enterpreneurs.

posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 at 2:33 AM by ranjan

Ability to go above and beyond.

posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM by Pacific Reserve

Nice tips for entrepreneurs for business startups

posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM by chronicc