Flat Is The New Up: Introducing Hockey Stick 2.0 [cartoon]

Flat Is The New Up: Introducing Hockey Stick 2.0 [cartoon]

onstartups hockey stick 2.0

Did this tickle your funny bone? Please tweet it. TweetIt from HubSpot

Posted by Dharmesh Shah on Thu, May 28, 2009

COMMENTS

Brilliant but sadly, too true!

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM by J. Loewen

Looks more like a sickle hmmmm socialism?

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM by M Gon

More like politicians...

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:36 PM by B. Gordon

I love how you have one of the board members typing secretly on his blackberry. So true, too funny!!

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM by Healy Jones

Oh - that sickle comments is brilliant!

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM by Michael Cayley

Healy: Thanks for noticing the secret blackberrying going on under the table.

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM by Dharmesh Shah

It does not look secrecive at all, maybe if he was facing away from the team.

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM by Rn

very funny, sadly too true, you think he is an engineer?

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM by Dawn

Truly witty and hilarious!

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:52 PM by Roopa Felten

So sad... but so true! Thanks for providing some humor. We all need it. :) Dawn K.

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM by Dawn K

I think the blackberry typer is a not too subtle dig at venture capitalists... and I love it!

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 12:57 PM by Healy Jones

What bullshit! Havent seen a more idiotic cartoon that this ever...
dont understand what these morons find funny!!! I think all good comments are written by the cartoonist himself... god give him some brains so he can work better!

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 1:00 PM by Cartoon critic

Witty!!

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 1:01 PM by Keval

Cristabol Huet could have used it last night!

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 1:12 PM by SkipJack

insightful and witty,I wonder what happens next? I think someone is Twitter-ing while listening.

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 1:17 PM by Lennox

So true, could I use it in a seminar I'm running for entrepreneurs preparing them for VC funding?

Thx

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM by Ian Sterritt

Ian: Feel free to use it for your seminar. I just ask that you attribute it back to OnStartups.com. Thanks.

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 1:45 PM by Dharmesh Shah

Oh dear... witty this in not.

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 1:48 PM by Spammed Linked-in member

Very funny - and too true.

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 2:03 PM by Greg

Only an entrepreneur would understand.

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM by Amit Kumar

OK, I don't get it either. But I love the guy on the Blackberry (or Ipod if your a MAC person) ...

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM by Joanne Wood-Ellison

Not funnnnnnnyyyyyy!!!!

Bankers play ice-hockey, when we want to play on the grass...

The Nike stick of the past has moved from US and UK to India, China and Russia, so we will need to design a curvier one... Any realistic suggestions so far?

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 2:50 PM by Cristina

Hi. Unable to reach you through other paths, so hope you will see this. We've listed your linkedin group for our freelancers in a recent blog post. Wanted you to take a look.

Thanks! --Tamara

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM by Tamara

I must be dense but please explain what is funny.
Thanks

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 4:44 PM by Ray

The fact there are two women in the room makes this cartoon unrealistic.

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 6:58 PM by Joppa

The tail at the end is what's scary. Flat isn't so bad... and it's predictable!

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 7:49 PM by Barb Finer

Love the quote but somehow the chart reminds me of a bailing hook. But then I grew up on a farm...

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM by FN

As someone (yes, a woman) who has sat through the 'Next Great Widget' venture capital meetings, this is hilarious! And all too true.

posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:09 PM by Georjina

I don't get it! What's funny....?

posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 4:37 AM by mauco

same here, i am unable to see whats funny here...looks like the hockey stick can work this way too...

posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 4:52 AM by gujubhai

It is sadly true. Why? Because entrepeneurs in start up most of the time concentrate in their own ego or technicalities but they don't assume the two key goals: sales on a continued basis and cash as a consequence of those sales and good costs management

posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 5:56 AM by carlos

For those who do not understand the cartoon t all then Google/Search "Hockey Stick Growth"... This is a popular business term.

posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 8:22 AM by Thomas

Nice! I have read quiet a bit about the hockey stick growth, But this picture is the only one that put a smile on me! Good work.. some more will do.

posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM by Startup News

The hockey stick is not flat, the bend at the end of the handle is showing a decline...hence the reason the guy is on his BB...he's typing
"get rid of this guy".

posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:31 AM by Tim

Yeah, looks like a sickle to me. Which is useful for mowing down any entrepreneurs that can't be hammered down by very bad economic policy.

posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 1:04 PM by Alan Brown

So true.............

posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 3:55 PM by Marc Burch

BOORING

posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 6:17 PM by matt

Don't have change something else to go with the stick....OH that is web 3.0 and our hockey tickets will go up to match!

posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 at 4:42 AM by bill

Probably the weakest posting I've seen on this site. Yes, I can see why it may be regarded as funny, but its not exactly LOL material.

Sorry Dharmesh, this cartoon is a miss.

Also sending out emails with a bit.ly address to read the cartoon means I can't tell what the real link is, which means I won't open it (security risk).

Its an ice hockey stick isn't it? Hockey is a different game, played on grass with a different shaped stick.

Looking forward to normal service resuming :-)

posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 at 1:54 PM by Stephen Kellett

Stephen: Apologies for disappointing you. The cartoon was generally well received, but your point is well taken.

We'll get back to business with the next series of posts.

posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 at 10:30 PM by Dharmesh Shah

This is a totally funny cartoon! I wish I had used it when I did my blog post, "Flat Is The New Up" - http://bit.ly/mhB2I. Keep up the great blogs, Dharmesh!

posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 at 9:12 PM by Jeff Bussgang

I think whats funny is there is no mention of hockey players . And entreprenuers and mba students dont represent the target audience.

posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 3:44 AM by chandan

He's not an Engineer, he's from marketing. Looks good on paper, but I don't know if it works in use.

posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 11:14 PM by Evan Mayo

So guys, how does the attractive chart look like, and how do you go about it?

posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM by Jerry Addai Marfo