14 Revealing Signs You Love Your Startup Job

14 Revealing Signs You Love Your Startup Job

You may not be frequently giving out an embarrassingly gushing smile and you might not write little love notes during your lunch break. But, there are ways to tell if you love your job.

Of course, no job is perfect -- even the best of relationships have their down days. We all have to do things we don’t like. I love working at HubSpot, it's the best job I've ever had (but, that's by design). But, even I have “off” days where I'm not spending all my time doing things I absolutely love.love my job small

So all of the following may not be the case all of the time.  But when you love your job, many of the following should be the case much of the time:

1. You don’t talk about other people; you talk about the cool things other people are doing.

“I hear Michelle has really improved our customer happiness scores.” or  “I’d love to know how Mike managed to rescue that sale.” “Sherry developed a new tool that's made our lives so much better.”

When you love your job you don’t gossip about the personal failings of others. You talk about their successes, because you’re happy for them – and because you’re happy with yourself.

2. You think, “I hope I get to…” instead of, “I hope I don’t have to…”

When you love your job it’s like peeling an onion. There are always more layers to discover and explore.

When you hate your job it’s also like peeling an onion – but all you discover are more tears.

3. You see your internal and external customers not as people to satisfy but simply as people.

They aren't numbers. You think of them as real people who have real needs.

And you gain a real sense of fulfillment and purpose from taking care of those needs.

4. You enjoy your time at work.

You don't have to put in time at work and then escape to life to be happy. You believe in enjoying life and enjoying work.

When you love your job, it’s a part of your life. You feel alive and joyful not just at home – but also at work.

5. You would recommend working at your company to your best friend…

In fact, you can't stop talking about how cool your company is and the awesome work you're doing even when you're away from work. Your friends and family are envious.

6. You enjoy attending meetings.

No, seriously, you enjoy meetings. Why? Because it’s fun to be at the center of thoughtful, challenging discussions that lead to decisions, initiatives, and changes – changes you get to be a part of.

7. You don’t think about surviving. You think about winning.

You don't worry much about losing your job. You're more worried about not achieving your potential. Not being as impactful as you can be.

8. You see your manager as a person you work with, not for.

You feel valued. You feel respected.

You feel trusted.

9. You don’t want to let your coworkers down.

Not because you’ll get in trouble or get a bad performance review, but because you admire them – and you want them to admire you.

10. You hardly ever look at the clock.

You’re too busy making things happen. When you do look at the clock, you often find that the time has flown.

11. You view success in terms of fulfillment and gratification – not just promotions and money.

Everyone wants to be promoted. Everyone wants to earn more.

You definitely feel that way too… but somewhere along the way your job has come to mean a lot more to you than just a paycheck. And if you left this job, even if for a lot higher salary… you would still miss it.

A lot.

Many people cross the “fun” tasks off their to-do lists within the first hour or two.

You often have cool stuff – new initiatives, side projects, hunches you want to confirm with data, people you want to talk to – left over when it’s time to go home.

13. You help without thinking.

You like seeing your colleagues succeed, so it’s second nature to help them out. You pitch in automatically.

And they do the same for you.

14. You can't imagine being somewhere else.

You're having too much fun.  Learning too much.

How many of the above statements apply to you and your job?

If you said:
0-3: You may want to find a new job. Life is too short.
4-6: You don't hate your job... but you don't love it either. What can you do differently?
7-10: You really enjoy your job and the people you work with
11-14: You are deeply, madly in love with your job! (and your friends are definitely jealous!)

Posted by Dharmesh Shah on Thu, May 23, 2013

COMMENTS

#6: The term "meeting" has certainly come to have a negative connotation. I've found that some people do silly things like "have 'chats' or 'get-togethers' instead of meetings" - to me, that's too trite. Others will deliberately try to "make meetings fun by having ice breakers, competitions, games, etc. to lighten the mood." Nope - too disingenuous. You want to make meetings fun? Then just freakin' talk about things that are meaningful, productive, interesting, etc. and stop dwelling on the concept of the meeting itself!

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM by Peter Alberti

Oh boy, I am deeply, madly in love with my job!

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM by Michelle at Quotesome

If you talk like this:

“I hear Michelle has really improved our customer happiness scores.” or “I’d love to know how Mike managed to rescue that sale.” “Sherry developed a new tool that's made our lives so much better.”

You need a lobotomy

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM by Henry

What you are really talking about our mindsets, and people's ability to actually contact what working well means. On some level, it is not the job, it is our relationship to the job. If we learn to contact the art of working well, we can fall in love with almost any job and make a difference. Make sense? Most unfortunately this is not taught in schools or in most work environments...

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM by Teri Beckman

Well thought out

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM by Brian Johnston

I absolutely love my job! All of these apply to me!

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM by Nadine

When you love what you do, it's not really working! It's all about making a difference.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM by Jennifer Cramer

When you hear someone telling you how much they love their job, they're probably selling something.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM by Henry

not now

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM by imroz

Thanks for the useful list. I agree with what Teri said above - I think we love our jobs when we feel valued for what we uniquely bring to the table, and we're given the opportunity/environment to do our very best work.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM by Liz Greer

Which startup job ends when you leave the office and begins only when you come in the next day?

"12. You leave work with items on your to-do list you’re excited about tackling tomorrow."

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM by Lover of cheesy startup articles

Really? Better read this one again. Seems backwards to me.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM by Evan

Love it! All things I've said to myself a hundred times since breaking free and starting my practice. Life is too short to not enjoy what we do on a daily basis.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM by Monique Elliott

when you love you want to give, you wouldn't be asking. giving is being forthwith, telling the good or the bad in clear unequivocable terms. Loving your job gives your personality the ability of being proactive, of not butting in on others' affairs but, loving your job is trusting and contolling those who work with you. Without control, your job will fall out of love with you.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM by serge lewiithin

Great, thanks :)

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM by Katrina Sangha

Great post Dharmesh. This is a very important topic that is becoming increasingly important for companies who want to keep their awesome employees, and awesome employees who want to work for great companies.

In fact, it's so important we're building a whole business off the back of helping people find a job they love (see: JobPage

I've shared your post with our community, as i'm sure they're going to find it a very useful tool.

Thanks again Dharmesh - i look forward to your next post.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM by Matthew Ogston

I love my job and this proves it. I am a self-employed small business consultant/coach and love every minute.#8,9 do not apply to me but I can see what I do and love in all the rest. I am a serial entreprenuer who saw a need to really help and guide small startup/growing businesses succeed. Their success fills my heart and soul and their problems are what I need to help them solve.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM by Trudy Phillips

I can feel from these examples the positive work environment with room for whole people. Great timely topic.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM by David "Santia"

I love my job
mje is job ki jarurt h h 12th clls ke exam diye h

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM by Rajat bajpai

I can most relate to #10 and #12.

When your start up has a massive backlog of "to do's" and few staff "to do" them, but you view this as an opportunity rather than a challenge, you know you're with the right company.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM by Noel Huelsenbeck

Thanks Dharmesh! Although I enjoy much of my current job, I would like to love my work. That's why I started my blog and am moving in a new direction. Thanks for this great article. It is really true!

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM by Rocky

nice

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 9:49 PM by jithin kumar

I guess, I have to look for a new job ASAP ! Life's too short !!!!

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM by Fresh IIM Grad

I luv my job

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM by Ravi

"You find yourself compelled at times to bring treats (such as Almond Roca) to the job to Make Their Day."

"You find time outside the job to improve skills and knowledge so that you can provide even more value to people."

"You wall paper your walls at home with the company logo and instead of magazines on the coffee table, you have company information/pamphlets."

OK, the last one was a bit of a stretch and possibly unbalanced. After all, that is what LCD photo frames are for. :)

Thank you Dharmesh. Excellent.

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 11:20 PM by Michael Hartzell

I think these signs are applicable for ANY job...

posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM by Ghanashyam Phadke

I can't agree more. If you like what you do, you love to go to work every morning and you will be really productive!
Dan Rob
COO, Binfire a project management tools company

posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM by Dab Rion

Great post!

I would add 'you enjoy going to work on Monday'

Not surprisingly, most people who don't like Mondays simply know they shouldn't work in their workplace. But it's easier to blame the day of the week instead - also known as 'the Monday test'.

posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM by Mark

I had never thought of how I love my job coz was busy enjoying it! But now Dharmeah, you and your topic made me analyzing & found myself that I am more than mad to my job! Thank you friend!

posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 at 2:31 AM by Joy Dharan

Good job on the article. Definitely referred to me once. Explanation: My last job working for someone else was as a Consultant to the same company that was replacing my former position with American Airlines. I believe I cared enough to want to make sure this outsourced group from "World Flight Services" performed with the same distinction as my former coworkers at American did. I got a lot of flack from my former coworkers for participating in their merger; although our outsourced issue with American Airlines was never about duty and/or performance; but budget. I think an extension to this article pertaining to my experience would make the article even more informative. The addon questions could be; "would you participate in using your experience and resources to help your struggling company, even if it meant outsourcing your position?"; or "as an employee of said company, could or would you advise streamlining your position, and those who work under you, to perform with less resources available, not compromising your current output?". I Loved my job at American Airlines; even during the hard times; and was proud the majority I worked with had equal pride,duty,and integrity. We tend to forget there is an end game to these preambles on justifying intent as an employee; or boss.

posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 at 2:40 AM by douglas kaapana

That's what all i had in my first job and this feeling is even more bigger when i started with you, Mr. Dharmesh Shah Sir. And its look even my second too, hmmmm, m lucky....

posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 at 4:24 AM by Paritosh Baranwal

I love my Job vey Much..this Article really help Full to the person who start their First Job....

posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 at 5:08 AM by Ashish Pandey

Thanks for putting this out there Dharmesh. I love people. I hate my J.O.B. I scored a 6 on your quiz. And, I found out that I enjoy most of the work and working with our clients. I enjoy leading and mentoring others. I hate having to fight for what is right. Of course, what is "right" is my perception and I am not the owner so its time. I need to get off the top of the fence and either put up with it or move on.

I actually work with three business opportunities. I have a network marketing company and also help people with waste disposal problems. These opportunities I love! The one that pays the bills is my problem. Love the work; love the challenges. I just happen to work for someone who will step over a dollar to pick up a penny and unfortunately it comes through in everything they do.

Have you ever worked for someone that you're doing 99 things right and they choose to talk about the one thing they can find wrong? That's where I am at. And, unfortunately, an attitude like this robs the room of oxygen, reduces people to an attitude of wait until told, and produces customer satisfaction ratings that are never ringing endorsements.

Time to go!!!

posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM by Dick Halm

Can I translate your post to portuguese and post on my website (linking to here, of course). (Please, reply to my email)

posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM by Ricardo Martins

way to go, excellent set of points.. :)

posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 at 5:02 PM by Harisankar P S

Why reinvent the wheel. I am adding these 14 signs into our policy and procedure guide. As for the term meetings - we don't call them meetings. We call them TSU sessions. The acronym stands for THINKING SH!T UP! It's yours to try out. Cheers, Ryan*

posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM by Ryan Bennett

Have a job is not a good thing,it's not a good option for me,I prefere to create job,make money work,I don't like to work for make money.

posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM by Gaetan Alcegaire

Come back in 10 years.

Life only holds deep disapointment for you.

posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 5:29 AM by Steve

In order to start a new business one needs adequate amount of funds. There are several hiccups while starting a business, small or big,Via this on startup business owners can put your query and further they will get response.

posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 7:01 AM by small business loans

Working for our own start up is something different from working for some other people. as said above we have our time feasibility we love to do what ever we feel like for our company without depending on others decisions. i always dream for a start up don't know when my dream will be fulfilled.

posted on Friday, May 31, 2013 at 1:20 PM by Vijesh

If you are in a start-up, read this, re-post it and take action to protect our yourself:

posted on Saturday, June 01, 2013 at 10:54 AM by Don Dottly

I truly do love my job (most days). And I think it's because of where I am in my career. In younger years, all focus was on moving ahead and upward, but as a senior employee, I enjoy not only my job, but my life. Advice to young people - have fun!

posted on Saturday, June 01, 2013 at 4:33 PM by C Bonner

חלוץ נבחרת ישראל הצעירה מואנס דבור מוכן ליורו לפרטים כנסו

posted on Monday, June 03, 2013 at 5:39 AM by כדורגל

Interesting article and interesting discussion. Thanks for sharing it..

posted on Wednesday, June 05, 2013 at 11:35 PM by Sandwich Restaurant in Mangalore

Three years later:

1. you think about other people in terms of "what a m0r0n" and "who f***ed it up again and how.."
2. you think "just not _this_ 1d1ot again"
3. you see a lot of internal and external fools trying to contribute to your unhappieness
4. you enjoy coffee breaks and always have lunch out
5. you keep asking everyone if they had any interesting interview recently
6. you see meetings as opportunity to tell people what you think about them
7. you only care about not talking to anyone for another (time you leave minus now) minutes
8. you avoid passing by your manager's desk on your way to the toilet
9. you don't know all names of people in your team
10. you spend a lot of time looking towards the exit
11. you only care if you get a free donut on Wednesday or not
12. you leave work.. fast
13. you keep your head down and mouth shut
14. you keep dreaming of being just anywhere else

posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM by someone else

Most startups are well known for having a fun, laid-back atmosphere. You won't find a formal dress-code policy or thousand page employee manual at a ten-person organization. Instead, startups typically offer casual dress codes, a fun environment that often blurs the line between work and fun, and lots of employee morale boosting activities...most often involving drinks. Not so bad, especially for those right out of school. But don't let the casual dress code make you think it's all fun and games. Successful startups employ people who are highly motivated and innovative, and will expect the same of you. This is a good thing. You want your boss and colleagues to have high expectations so you'll achieve your best.

posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 at 10:28 PM by Submit Startup